My Credentials At A Glance!
- 19 years of leadership in non-profit and socially responsible for-profit
- 16 years experience as Trainer and Consultant
- 8 years experience supervising staff, directing programs, and answering to Boards of Directors
- 8 years experience counseling or coaching
- 4 years running my own business full-time
- 1 year as a Generative Somatics Approved Somatics and Trauma Bodywork Practitioner
- Authored curriculum published by the NW Network of Bi, Trans, Lesbian and Gay Survivors of Abuse (2012)
- Published contributor in Beyond Inclusion, Beyond Empowerment, A Developmental Strategy To Liberate Everyone, by Dr. Leticia Nieto et. al. (2010)
- M.A. in Human Development (2011) and License Mental Health Counselor Associate (LMHCA) Credential
Accountable & Connected to Social Movements
I believe that there is an inherent tension in working as an independent contractor who is an an agent for change. This is because effective change makers are interdependent with and accountable to the communities they serve. Some of my current movement involvement includes:
- Generative Somatics
I have been an approved GS Somatics Practitioner since January 2015. I have been studying with Generative Somatics and Strozzi Institiute since 2010.
- WSCADV, Washington State Coalition Against Domestic Violence
Served two terms on the Board of Directors, including 1 year as Treasurer on the Executive Committee Treasurer. (2009-2013)
- Bend The Arc, A Jewish Partnership for Justice
Led the Content Committee designing content for the Bend The Arc's Selah National Gathering (2013)
Served on the Selah National Leadership Team (2010-2013)
- The NW Network of Bi, Trans, Lesbian and Gay Survivors of Abuse
Long-Term Trainer, Contractor, and Volunteer (since 2006)
- Jewish Voice for Peace
Member (since 2006)
Long Story Short...
I moved to the Pacific Northwest from Minneapolis, Minnesota 20 years ago to attend the Evergreen State College (I graduated in 1999), and since then, I have made Washington my home. I have developed a career in diverse non-profit social justice initiatives. My work has included directing both a self-defense school as well as an immigrant community education program. BBT Coaching and Consulting brings together my areas of expertise and my passions, and it offers me the opportunity to pursue my most meaningful work: supporting you to do the work that is meaningful to you and collaborating to bring our movements to the next level of accountable power.
My current home is Seattle, where I live with Harriet, a small dog with a big personality. In my life I value lifelong study, self-reflection, balance, and being able to laugh at myself.
One of my Favorite Quotes
“everything in moderation, including moderation.” - Oscar Wilde
Becka Tilsen’s coaching practice combines her extensive experience as a community educator, curriculum developer, and organizational development consultant with her expertise in counseling and human development. As an educator and trainer, she has designed and facilitated workshops for a wide range of constituencies, from grassroots community organizers to low-income housing residents to policy makers. Becka has more than nineteen years of experience with program development including supervision, direct service provision, and grassroots fundraising and grant writing within social justice and non-profit organizations, particularly in the fields of Immigrant Rights and Domestic and Sexual Violence. Most recently, Becka authored a relationship skills curriculum for the Northwest Network of Bi, Trans, Lesbian and Gay Survivors of Abuse and co-developed a curriculum for Jewish Family Services for children who have witnessed domestic violence. This community-based work compliments and informs her five years of counseling experience, six years of participation in the Selah Leadership Development Program, a Master of Arts in Human Development from Pacific Oaks College (2011), and her Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC) Associate credential. Becka is currently receiving supervision towards her LMHC licensure.